Has your Edmonton parking lot seen better days? If potholes and cracks have become an issue in your asphalt, now is the time to look into repairs. Asphalt is a highly durable paving material; however, wear and tear from traffic and weather will cause damage over time. At ProZone, our team of committed experts is here to help you ensure that your asphalt is in tip-top shape all year round. Below you’ll find some common signs of wear and tear, how this damage is repaired, and some advice regarding regular asphalt maintenance. Keep reading to learn more about asphalt repair in Edmonton!
Common Wear and Tear
It’s no secret that your asphalt parking lot will begin to show signs of wear and tear over time due to weather and other factors. Some common signs to keep an eye out for are as follows:
- Cracks. Due to the weight of vehicles and fluctuations in temperature, asphalt can form cracks.
- Potholes. Potholes form when water sits in one location for an extended period or when neglected cracks become severe.
- Low spots. If a crack is left untreated in your asphalt and water seeps into the ground, soft spots can form underneath. Over time if these spots aren’t treated properly, they will get worse as more water collects inside them.
- Discolouration. Motor oil and other automotive chemicals can cause damage to your asphalt resulting in discoloured patches. Sometimes snow, ice, and plant debris can also cause this kind of damage.
If you notice these telltale signs of wear, you should contact ProZone right away. Our team is well versed in repairing asphalt, and we can prevent minor problems from becoming major issues.
Repair Vs. Replacement
In some cases, your asphalt might need some repair work done. In other cases, it may require a complete repave job. How can you know when it’s time to repair or replace it? Get ProZone to evaluate your asphalt and provide you with the necessary next steps! Some common repair procedures include:
- Crack sealing. If your parking lot has a few cracks but is otherwise in pretty good shape, you may need a crack sealing job. Filling in the cracks and then sealing the asphalt can prevent the damage from becoming worse and keeps moisture from seeping into your parking lot’s sublayer.
- Pothole repair. Potholes, just like cracks, will get worse over time if they’re not addressed immediately. So if your parking lot has some potholes, get them filled and repaired right away. Otherwise, you may have to resurface your entire lot.
- Resurfacing. If your parking lot has extensive potholes, cracks, and other problems, it’s a sure sign that it will need to be completely resurfaced. The resurfacing process involves scraping off the damaged layer of asphalt and laying down a new layer. While this is still better than starting from scratch, it’s best to avoid resurfacing by repairing minor problems right away.
If your asphalt parking lot is in rough condition or the sublayer has endured damage from moisture and is no longer even, you should consider a complete replacement job. Repaving a parking lot involves ripping up the existing asphalt, preparing a new surface, and then putting down fresh asphalt. This process can be time-consuming and costly, but it is preventable with the proper maintenance and repair.
Don’t Forget About Regular Maintenance!
Regular asphalt maintenance can keep your parking lot from developing potholes, cracks, and other damage. Essentially, asphalt maintenance entails period sealing, patching, and repainting. Depending on the wear and tear of your lot, every 1-3 years, you should have a seal coat applied to your asphalt. This ensures that moisture doesn’t creep into small cracks and become a more significant problem. ProZone’s professional seal coating will guarantee that your asphalt parking lot is completely protected from vehicles and our unpredictable Albertan weather.
Trust the Pros for Asphalt Repair
ProZone is Edmonton’s premier asphalt paving company and contractor. With a range of complete asphalt services available, we are sure our team of experts can get your parking lot repaired, refreshed, or maintained on time and within budget. Whether you’re looking for asphalt repairs, bike path installation, speed bump installation, or something else, our team will assist you with all of your paving needs. We are committed to providing you with high-quality services using top-quality materials, equipment and techniques. Contact us today to learn more about asphalt repair in Edmonton.